It seems that my build-script is still in the old master branch of which Titus has no access and is incompatible with his branch. So he suggested me to create a new branch and add the file to it. But during this process, I came across many problems.
When I try to push, I get a non fast forward error.
To remove this error, I tried to pull from Titus’s repository which told me that everything was up to date which should not have happened.
git checkout titus
I found out that ‘git pull’ does a merge, while ‘get fetch’ does a complete replace. After this, I was able to do a regular push.
Here is the link to this week’s UCOSP blog update:
This week, I came across small and big stuffs. I remove the nose_problem6 branch which worked easily this time.
git push firstname.lastname@example.org:kshakya/pony-build.git :nose_problem6
Last week’s problem is still there. I found out what the problem is from last week’s conference call. After the pony_client was refactored, the cache_dir is never called or checked. This needs to be included in the code.
One quick fix for time being was to create a directory
I haven’t able to do much this week either. But here is what I did so far. I removed all the extra branches from my repository and fetched from Titus’s master branch in order to pull the fresh code from Titus branch. It tells me that it is up-to- date which I don’t think so. Also when I try running it, it tells me that a file “.pony-build” is missing. After talking to Titus, I found out that it is a directory that has all the cached copies of various source code repos that I am building. It is suppose to be created automatically by pony-client but in my case, I don’t see it anywhere. So it seems like it is a bug. More on this soon!
Here is the link to the blog update.
Last time I ran into a windows error where it was not finding the subprocess.py file. I came to know that I didn’t have a updated version of pony-client file. So I pulled it but came across other problems. So to avoid all these problems and ust to get my code running, I copied the updated pony-client from Titus’s repo and tried running it. Now I have other problems:
I will update on it more later.
For my next build script, I chose the mechanize package. Unlike the previous nose package, mechanize uses the SvnUpdate to checkout source code. So far, everything works fine. The build runs but the test fails. The error that I see has something to do with not being able to find the subprocess.py file. Here is the error that I get:
Traceback (most recent call last): File “C:\Users\Khushboo\Desktop\pony-build1\client\pony_client.py”, line 82, in _run_command p = subprocess.Popen(command_list, cwd=cwd, **default_kwargs) File “c:\Python26\lib\subprocess.py”, line 621, in __init__ errread, errwrite) File “c:\Python26\lib\subprocess.py”, line 830, in _execute_child startupinfo) WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified
I think one of my team members encountered the same problem. I will probably discuss about this in the meeting.
Please read my midway update in the UCOSP blog. Here is the link:
Today I made some additional changes. I renamed my file from build-nose.py to just build-nose and also changed line 17 name to just “nose”. And finally pushed it back to my github. Apart from that I removed all the additional branches that I had in github so now its neat and clean and there is more confusion. Thats it so far.
I finally got my build script for nose package working. There was a lot that happened within this past few days. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I was stuck in an infinite loop of non-fast forward and conflicting merge errors. But with the help of good advisers and dear friends, I got it all sorted out.
First I removed all my pony-build stuff from the current location to a new location and renamed the folder. From the command line, I created a new directory and changed my directory to it.
Then I cloned everything again from github.
git clone email@example.com:kshakya/pony-build.git
Now, I have fresh copy from the repo. I then created a new branch in my repo called nose_problem6 since I wasn’t being able to push anything to the master branch.
git checkout -b nose_problem6
This command will create the branch and will also switch you to the same branch. “checkout” will change and branch and “-b” will create the branch. So after this command you are in the nose_problem6 branch. After this, I did added my file, committed and and pushed it. Also I made nose_problem6 my default branch in github.
git add build-nose.py
git push firstname.lastname@example.org:kshakya/pony-build.git nose_problem6
Along with push and pull, I also did some changes in my code. In my build-nose.py file, I changed line 10 from python26 to just python. Now in the pony_client.py file, a lot of changes were done. A function to create a cache_dir was added. Some lines like line 539 and 545 were commented out. You can view the code here.
Finally I want to thank everyone who helped me get through this directly or indirectly. Max for fixing the HgClone, Titus for being so patient even after my frustrating emails, Rose for being always there and for helping me with the merge conflicts and Fatima for whom my problems become way to simple after her huge indentation problem…LOL! And also my sister and my dear friend Dale who who listened to all my frustration :D [ PS-->As stupid as this last paragraph may seem, I think I have to thank them for being such nice people!!]